ChatGPT, artificial intelligence and higher education: What do higher education institutions need to know?
ChatGPT is an Artificial Intelligence (AI) tool that has taken the world by storm, reaching 100 million users just two months after its launch. To meet the exceptionally high level of interest in this tool, UNESCO IESALC held a webinar to discuss what are its possibilities and challenges in higher education, a Quick Start Guide and an interactive seminar, which will begin in April 2023.
The webinar was attended by Francesc Pedró and Arianna Valentini, Director and Analyst of the Research and Foresight team, respectively at UNESCO IESALC, and Professor Axel Rivas, Director of the School of Education at the University of San Andrés and Academic Director of the Center for Applied Research in Education San Andrés (Argentina)
After receiving some 3,500 questions from registrants, we asked both ChatGPT and the experts the following questions:
- What are the possible uses of ChatGPT in teaching and learning processes in higher education?
- Why has ChatGPT created concern in the academic world?
- What strategies are you considering incorporating to promote critical thinking in higher education now that ChatGPT exists?
Be sure to check out their answers:
The Quick Start Guide is a short, jargon-free downloadable guide that provides an overview of how ChatGPT works and explains how it can be used in higher education. The Quick Start Guide raises some of the main challenges and ethical implications of AI in higher education and offers practical steps that higher education institutions can take.
Download the Quick Start Guide
You can also participate in a free self-paced asynchronous seminar on ChatGPT and AI in higher education through Campus IESALC, our social and collaborative learning community. You’ll not only have the opportunity to earn a certificate and digital badge, but you can also join a live session with UNESCO IESALC thematic leaders and engage in discussion with other users to strengthen social learning and exchange ideas and experience.
Join the seminar
Related Press Articles:
- La Unesco presentó una guía para incluir la inteligencia artificial a la educación superior (Spanish) | TELAM by Iván Federico Hojman
- La Unesco presenta una guía para incluir la inteligencia artificial a la educación superior (Spanish) | Telefe Córdoba
- ChatGPT e Inteligencia Artificial en la enseñanza superior: guía de inicio rápido (Spanish) | Universo Abierto
- ChatGPT, artificial intelligence and higher education | UNESCO
- MLA-CCCC Joint Task Force on Writing and AI Working Paper: Overview of the Issues, Statement of Principles, and Recommendations | MLA-CCCC